Thursday, August 27, 2009

Self

Among the dabblers I know and others I know of, there are groups, weekly blog posts and other avenues for self portrait work. I have made a handful of attempts with the camera but find I can rarely look into it. Nor am I usually found in front of anyone elses. Not sure when I became so self conscious.

The ones I've done that were fun to do have been mixtures. Mixing a photo and other layers into something "else". Basically what I do with "everything else" dabble wise. And so it is with this first posted self portrait. Layers, alterations, hand cut stencils, ect. It looks very little like "me". I'm far more lined, spotty, fair and sport a more prominent nose. I'm exploring adaptation, perspective and mood.

The process still feels a little weird and uncomfortable, but I usually learn the most with uncomfortable as a starting point. Have you tried a self portrait?

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin