Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fibers Rank High

On my list of fun things to play with, fibers rank high and have since I was a little girl learning to sew by hand and machine. But today... today there are almost no comparisons to the types and quality of fibers available to me in the 50's. Now its like going to the candy store when you go in search of supplies and the quality of them is amazing. Believe me, there were no stores where I grew up selling weaving/spinning, yarn or fabric dyeing supplies. Or vintage fabrics, hah, not likely! It would take the 60's to begin to shake things up, in many ways and many places.

These days one of the things I would play with more often, given the room to spread out, is wet felting. Not until my first workshop with Mary Stanley did I really have a chance to enjoy wet felting as we worked in the nuno felting process, in 2008 at Artfiberfest. A sample of that piece is above. A class with Mary is a treat you won't forget or regret. Needle felting is another enjoyment. Many of the supplies work in both dry and wet felting types. Nuno felting is more of a fiber marriage with, in this case, a chiffon scarf as the base and a mixture of wool roving's for the top. You really have to work the fibers together resulting in the same kind of gratification that comes with a day of digging in the garden. Your dragging but happy. Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Chris! Love your scarf photo...it looks so organic!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin